Just be you!

Just be you!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

An Autobiography: Me

            For as long as I can remember everything I’ve ever wanted to be as a professional was a doctor, live the thrills of saving lives. When I was 14, not actually knowing everything that encompasses the actual profession, I decided I wanted to be a surgeon. And so, I took matters into my own hands and started to do shadowing to various surgeons with different specialties. I loved everything about it immediately, and decided to dedicate my studies in pursuing my dreams. Little did I actually know then, about the long journey that awaited me.
            Growing up in a household with just my sister and mother was challenging. My father was never present. So as I began to understand the hardships of life and began enduring them myself, I knew I was lucky to have such a dedicated mother. She works harder as anyone I know to give my sister and I everything we ever need to achieve our goals and be successful. She is our role model, guide, best friend, confident… our everything. My father left home when I was two and I never saw him again until I was 6 and at the hospital and than when I was fourteen and then he disappeared again, but this time permanently. It’s an event that personally for me, changed me and marked my life. From that day on my perspective changed and I also understood and decided when it was my time to choose a life-long companion I had to be ready and aware of this sorts of events. It was particularly hard for me because I was as they call it a daddy’s girl; we had everything in common and understood each other in every aspect (school, sports, cooking, etc…). I always think of him and hope he’s well and to see him again. But that uncertainty of not even knowing where he is or if he’s even alive troubles me always. One of my most vivid memories was when I fractured my elbow when I was six, and my family rushed me to the hospital. I needed immediate surgery and there was a possibility I could loose my arm, but because my parents had shared custody we needed both my parents signature. My grandma almost lost it, but they managed to find him, and I saw him, he stayed until my anesthesia kicked in, but never saw him again until my fourteen years of age. Although unfortunate it certainly didn’t stop me when I recovered from surgery the first thing I said was if I could watch my surgery video, my mind was set.
            As I continued my studies in the biological field, there have been many unprecedented experiences that have influenced my perspective. Now I know better that studying biology does not predispose you to study medicine, and if that’s your perspective (in my opinion) is that you just don’t know about this very broad field. When I began my sophomore year in college I applied to an introductory research program at the Veterans Affairs Caribbean Healthcare System (VACHS). There were many competent applicants and I was honored and fortunate to be chosen. As I began this new chapter I was shocked to view the other face of medicine the pre-clinical and clinical research that serves as the basis for everything practiced. Instantly I was a match, and loved to invest my time there and investigate there. This opportunity opened so many doors in my career from presenting oral and poster presentations to having publications. My turning point was the summer before my senior year where I had the opportunity to present and attend a workshop at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Washington DC. Here I was exposed to other medical related fields and there I decided more profoundly I wanted to do a Masters in Research (MS).

            My life right up till know has been definitely a ride, and so it should be. Every decision and action has shaped me and defined me to be who I am today. There’s so much more to express about it and if you ask me the story would not end. I’m truly grateful for my virtues and defects, my accomplishments and my failures they are me. The best parts have not even started, and yet I look forward to new chapters and experiences all for achieving my goals and a healthy and successful life with my family.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes those hard moments are necessary for one to realize what they have and want in life. I hope you achieve what you're aiming for in life. Good Luck !

    ReplyDelete